Assertiveness is about finding a middle way between Aggression (dominance) and Passivity (submissiveness) that respects the personal boundaries of others. A person communicates assertively by overcoming fear of speaking their mind or trying to influence others, while doing so in a considerate way.
Assertiveness does not teach women to be aggressive, loud or bullying - instead it helps women learn to recognise when somebody is being abusive or manipulative towards them, and can help teach them to stand up to such treatment without becoming angry or aggressive themselves.
The course is designed to help improve self image and create a more positive outlook on life and self, and aims to enhance the following characteristics:
- Freedom to express feelings, thoughts and desires.
- Knowledge of rights.
- Managing feelings of anger - Feelings are controlled, not repressed, and can be talked about in a reasoning manner.
The sessions focus on the following:
- Developing Assertiveness - Learning to express views clearly and respectfully, without aggression.
- Making Effective Changes - Learning practical methods and tips for improving assertiveness.
- Improving Self Image and Confidence - Increasing feelings of self worth in turn increase confidence, helping women to feel able to stand up for their rights, needs and wants.
This programme has been run several times, and produces positive results, monitored through feedback sheets and a distance travelled monitoring tool, devised by Bridge. The results below were received in Feb 2010:
- 75% of women felt more in control in their lives and felt they had plans for the future.
- 75% of women felt more self confident.
- 100% of women felt able to make decisions independently.
- 100% of women felt and increase in their self esteem.
- 100% of women felt they had become more assertive.
- 100% of women felt aware of their basic rights.
To register an interest in attending a particular session, please Contact Us.
Sessions at the Bridge...
- Confidence Building
- Mentoring Programme
- The Recovery Toolkit
- Explore Learning
- Number and Play
- Language and Play
- Personal Safety
- Legal Surgeries
- Debt Management Surgeries
- Freedom Programme
- Healthy Relationships
- Personal Development
- Style and Image
- Home Cooking